Friday, July 3, 2015

2014: The year of g.o.d

[I wanted to have this published before the end of 2015, but it never happened, and then I kept forget forgetting about it. But it's been like a year since they actually came back, so I finished this for the occasion. Let's just pretend it's still like back in January...]

Back in 2013, it seemed rumors of a g.o.d reunion really started to swirl about, but the year came and went with no concrete confirmation that the first generation group had plans to get back together. Early on in 2014, I remember being asked if I thought that a reunion was actually going to happen, but to be honest, I did not have high hopes and would just brush off the rumors with a "I'll believe it when I see it." To my amazed surprise, g.o.d did come back, and that comeback was the defining moment in Kpop of 2014. As well as, let's be real, the defining moment of my life in 2014.


In early May of 2014, it finally happened- g.o.d finally returned with the single "The Lone Duckling."


Everyone was super pumped. After a decade of waiting, they finally were back. It was amazing.

But we had to wait until July for the full album, Chapter 8.



Chapter 8 was a very solid album and was worth the wait. While they did not actively promote it on music shows (however, they did get their own episode of Yoo Heeyeol's Sketchbook, which was fantastic), they did give us three pretty sweet music videos- "Sky Blue Promise," "Saturday Night," and "The Story of Our Lives."






g.o.d held their reunion concerts on July 12th and 13th, and it was clearly obvious to everyone that they were finally back for real.

Then they hit the road on their national tour, putting on eight concerts throughout August before coming back to Seoul for an encore concert in October.


Something ridiculously awesome then happened in November- g.o.d came to the United States for two shows, one in Los Angeles and one in Newark, NJ. For once, something had worked out in my life. As I live in northeastern PA, I was able to make it the Newark show. I wrote about the concert after it happened here on tumblr (more terribad photos can be found here too). Even now, months later, I still can't listen to g.o.d without getting emotional and remembering the concert. Every time I listen to "Stand Up," I am immediately transported back, and it's like I can feel the oppas around me again.

The concert was beyond amazing; they put on such a great show. It was beyond fun, and the boys were so precious and lovable. I couldn't have asked for a better time. It still feels like it was all a dream.

If you ever have a chance to see g.o.d, SEE THEM!



We'll meet again Danny.

g.o.d has a timeless feel to them. Their songs are such classics, and their hits actually do stand the test of time. Stuff like "Lies" remains fresh. With how they have accessible music and an image that appeals to a wide audience, it's no wonder that they are a "national group." I have seen them in real life, and they really do seem like actual brothers, so I'm confident in my belief that g.o.d is back for good.

I can't wait for what they have in store for us at the end of this year~

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you have to contribute?